Sunday, November 3, 2013

Epic Weekend: MGSO, food, and upcoming Pronto Musica concert

Hey All!

I had a crazy busy weekend. Friday was a bit hellish since my day began at 4 am and ended at 1 am...I did sleep until 10 on Saturday, but it does take more than 9 hours of sleep to catch up from a doozy like that!

We had our concert in Maison Symphonique today. It went fabulously. We had 1,500 in attendance. Composer Kaija Saariaho received and honorary doctorate from McGill today during the concert. We then performed her Laterna Magica. Fantastic piece! We ended the concert with Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe. Other pieces at the beginning of the concert were short overtures by Verdi and Wagner.

Here are some pictures from the hall:




We had rehearsal all Saturday afternoon. Then Alicia and I enjoyed Taste of Montreal at Le Pois Penche. We had a gourmet three-course dinner for $29, which, looking at the regular menu, is a really good deal at this restaurant. I had a lovely salad with maple vinaigrette, a tender beef shoulder with potatoes, Christmas-tasting cranberries, and sprigs of broccoli tasting things that were delicious. For dessert I had goat-cheese mouse with warm sugary peaces and sugar crumbles. So amazing!




Finally, I have another concert coming up this Thursday! I am playing principal oboe with the new Montreal-based ensemble, Pronto Musica. Our concert is Thursday, November 7 at 7:30 pm in Pollack Hall in the Old Music Building on the McGill Campus. It is directed by Alexis Hauser. We are playing Mozart Symphony 40 in g minor, Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Infant Princess, and Wagner's Siegfried Idyll.
This is Zach and me during the Mozart rehearsal tonight. Lindsay has the bassoon in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment