Monday, September 2, 2013

Facebook: The Life vs. The Show

Hey All!

I am guessing that many of you find me through Google+, because I choose to advertise this blog through that medium.  I do not advertise individual posts on Facebook for the following reasons:

1. I have a lot of Facebook friends that I would prefer not comment on my blog
2. Facebook friends see enough music and food thoughts already
3. I may be tempted to stop writing about what I want to write about

Today I will address my third point.  I will first categorize people by they way they post:

1. The negative Nelly who wants lots of attention through being only negative
2. The positive Polly whose posts almost always brighten up your day
3. The political activist
4. The religious activist
5. The career advertiser
6. The witty commentator
7. The occasional poster
8. The observer

I enjoy numbers 2, 6, 7, and 8.  Numbers 3 and 4 are okay once-in-a-while, but some people are relentless.  Number 5 gets annoying and number 1 needs a therapist.

While growing up, I would get jealous of certain friends or families and complain how that person has a perfect life.  My mother, in her infinite wisdom, told me that I do not know what happens behind the scenes in that person's life.  It is so true!  Some people put on a front of a perfectly charmed life, but are actually sad and conflicted.  We never know what is really happening.

Since the age of media technology, we have been able to widely advertise a persona. Some people only show the fantastics parts of their lives.  It is so easy to think that so-and-so has a better marriage than me or wonder why I can't have eating self-control like John Doe who only posts health food photos. (Yes, I have posted things I have made on here, but if I posted everything I ate, I would be so ashamed.)

What if I posted on Facebook everything about my life?  The good and the bad?  What if Positive Polly is hurting deep down, but wants to fit that perfect person in her head?  How many people are trying to act like they have great relationships through what they tell the world on Facebook because they don't want to admit they have some hard work and problems to resolve?

I don't want to know every single detail of a person's life, but I need to remind myself that not everything is as it appears.  It is also a good reminder to myself to not use social media as a way to costume my life, but to figure out how to fix it.

To the people who are transparent with their struggles and successes in a tasteful way: Bravo to you!

*Smokey lives his life transparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment