Friday, March 22, 2013

Bikram Yoga

Hello, Dear People!

I decided to try something different.  I bought an introductory membership to the Bikram Yoga Montreal studio by my house.  My professor has been praising the benefits of yoga for musicians since I began grad school in Ohio and I wanted to try something for me.  I've heard amazing things about hot yoga, so I decided to give it a try.

Last night was my first yoga class ever.  I decided to go with the type of yoga that is 90 minutes in a 105 degree room.  It was so intense.  The class was in both French and English.  The teacher was really good about helping me out since it was my first time.  When I first got into the room, I wondered if I could even be in there for 90 minutes not doing anything because it was so incredibly hot.  I was able to do most of the poses and had to just lay down in lieu of only a few.  I did feel very dizzy towards the end, but I was situated by the door so I could leave if I needed.  We had frequent water breaks.

I felt at home from the beginning.  The yoga studio is smaller, has nice locker rooms, and the people seem very dedicated.  The class reminded me of our conditioning circuits in the summer when I was in gymnastics.  I believe my body needs this type of a workout; it focused on both toning and stretching and a lot of these concepts were intertwined.

I am quite sore this morning.  And thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment